General guidelines for manuscript format:
- Use 8.5 by 11" white paper
- Use a standard font such as Times New Roman or Arial and a font size of 12.
- Leave margins of 1" on all sides of the page and do not justify the right margin.
- Indent each new paragrah one half inch or 5 spaces.
- Double space the paper. Check with your professor to see if he or she has spacing preferences for the Literature Cited page.
- Use a hanging indent for the Literature Cited page.
For more detailed rules, consult Chapter 8 of McMillan's Writing Papers in the Biological Sciences.